This will be a most interesting election for several reasons:
* For the first time Australia has a female Prime Minister
* We usually elect Prime Ministers who have the Sun in a fire or earth sign. Julia Gillard has her Sun in Libra, an air sign; Tony Abbott has his Sun in Scorpio, a water sign; so Australians have no potential Prime Minister with the Sun in Fire or Earth. To date this seems to be causing some confusion or lack of enthusiasm with the Australian people. Bob Brown has his Sun in Capricorn, an Earth sign, but his Greens Party will not win enough seats to govern, however it seems highly likely it will win a number of seats in the Senate.
* Australia’s Secondary Progressed Sun is changing signs from Aries to Taurus close to the time of the election. As Taurus is considered a yin or female sign, this is quite appropriate as a timer for our first female Prime Minister.
The chart of 1st January 1901, 1.35 pm, Sydney Australia is the appropriate chart for all matters to to with Government as it marks the time our first Prime Minister, Edmund Barton, took the Oath of Office.
All Australian Prime Ministers have at least one strong connection to this chart and/or its declinations. It seems to be a prerequisite for election. So lets check out Julia Gillard (29 September 1961, 11.52 am, Barry Wales) and Tony Abbott (4th November 1957, London, UK, no time of birth ).
Julia Gillard’s birth chart and origins of her birth time can be read here: Julia Gillard
Australia is the inside wheel and Julia Gillard is the outside wheel in the chart below. To enlarge, just click the chart.
Julia Gillard has a number of close connections with Australia’s chart – as would be expected of a Prime Minister. The aspects near a one degree orb are:
* Her antiVertex is conjunct Australia’s Saturn. This indicates a destined connection to Australia.
* Her Mars is conjunct Australia’s Descendant. As Australia has Aries rising, the position of Julia’s Mars is very important. Its angular position means that she has a strong effect on Australia. It is also conjunct Australia’s Part of Benevolence, suggesting that she will have a benevolent influence.
* Her Uranus is trine Australia’s Ascendant and trine Chiron, making up a grand trine in Fire. As Uranus is the ruler of Australia’s MC, Julia’s Uranus in close contact with placements in Australia’s chart means that she has a strong influence.
* Her MC is square Australia’s Pluto. Pluto is connected to power, global situations and big business, so this activation brings all these areas into play for her.
* Her Moon is opposite Australia’s Venus and square Australia’s Mars. This can suggest her strong, female influence and, as her Moon is in Australia’s second house, the requirement to pay considerable attention to the financial resources of Australia.
Julia also has:
Her Sun conjunct Australia’s Part of Friends at 5Libra33 and Part of Organisation at 5Libra38, suggesting that she is both a friend to Australia and able to organise and run situations well. Her Sun in Australia’s 6th house shows her relationship to Trade Unions and her left wing orientation.
Her Pluto, ruler of her Ascendant, in trine to Australia’s Part of Rulers. A strong indication of her current position as Prime Minister.
Her MC is square Australia’s Part of Influence, suggesting her career is of great influence in Australia -well it has been and she is our first female Prime Minister to boot!
Her chart activates a number of Arabic parts, but these are particularly connected to government.
Australia on the left, Julia Gillard on the right.
I consider Declinations very powerful as they describe the position of planets in the Southern and Northern Hemisphere. For any connection to Government in Australia the more declination connections the better, they are particularly powerful if the two planets are also conjunct.
As you can see in the above illustration, Julia has a number of declination contacts with Australia.
Her antiVertex connects to Australia’s massive rolling declination between Mercury, Jupiter, Sun, Saturn and Uranus. This is a powerful placement that indicates a destiny with Australia. It ratifies and further empowers Julia’s antiVertex conjunct Australia’s Saturn in longitude. Any parallel trigger of this point on election day will be powerful.
Her Jupiter-Saturn conjunction is also in parallel of declination and this connects to Australia’s Ceres-Venus.
Her Ascendant is in parallel with Australia’s MC.
Then you get the lovely, sexy Venus parallel Mars and the nurturing Ceres parallel Ascendant.
Her Uranus -North Node is parallel Australia’s Pluto – an enormously powerful connection.
And even more powerful we can see Julia’s Pluto-Descendant parallel Australia’s Moon-IC. If this parallel is triggered on election day it will be a force to be reckoned with.
Julia has a number of midpoint connections with Australia’s chart:
The strongest is her MC = Australia’s Sun/Moon at 15Pisces41 and Ascendant/MC at 16Pisces02. It is rare to have the Sun/Moon and A/M midpoints in the same sign and degree, so anyone who has planets or angles on this point will have a strong connection to the politics and government of Australia. Julia’s MC on these points clearly describes her political career.
Julia has her Pluto conjunct Australia’s Pluto/Node at 8Virgo47, indicating powerful associations. It is also on Australia’s Moon/Jupiter at 8Pisces39 – a very powerful configuration for success.
As yet we do not have a time of birth for Tony Abbott I am using a Sun culmination chart i.e. when the Sun was conjunct the MC on that day.
Australia is on the inside wheel and Tony Abbott on the outside wheel of the chart below. Click to enlarge.
As we do not have Tony’s time of birth we are a little handicapped with this synastry because I am unable to map angular connections.
* Tony’s Venus is conjunct Australia’s Mercury-Chiron. This is a lovely configuration that indicates he will do his best to benefit his country.
* Venus is also trine Australia’s Ascendant, indicating that most Australians like him.
* Venus is opposite Australia’s Neptune. Neptune is a very active player in politics so this suggests both his interest in writing about politics and his ability ‘to playthe game’
* Tony’s Venus is Out-Of-Bounds, making him a bit of a maverick, so I am not sure how it would work in synastry with Australia.
* Like Julia, Tony’s Mars is conjunct Australia’s Descendant, but with a slightly wider orb. This is an important placement as the ruler of Australia’s Ascendant is angular in its chart.
* Tony’s Sun-North Node is in Australia’s 7th house and semisquare Australia’s Jupiter. This too is quite a fortunate configuration. It suggests a strong public profile – particularly in his athletic areas.
* Tony’s Uranus is trine Australia’s Venus. As Venus is in the 8th house and ruler of the 2nd, this suggests that innovative ideas in the financial area might benefit Australia.
* But, Tony’s Neptune squares Australia’s MC. Neptune shows up a great deal in politics, but I think this square might indicate that the Australian populace does not fully trust him. It could also indicate confusion in government if he becomes Prime Minister. As Neptune is connected to global socio-economic areas this would be part of his agenda in his government.
* Pluto is square Australia’s Moons Nodes. This describes his position of power in Australia, particularly as Pluto rules his own Scorpio North Node and Sun.
Tony was born in between a total Solar and total lunar eclipse. This can make him very psychic, but I don’t think he would value this ability – perhaps it works as good intuition. The Solar Eclipse was at 29Libra29, conjunct Australia’s Descendant. Venus in the eclipse chart was at 14Sagittarius49, conjunct Australia’s Uranus-Vertex. The lunar eclipse at 14Taurus31 was quincunx Australia’s Uranus-Vertex.
These eclipses give him a very strong tie to Australia. It will be interesting to see what happens when Saturn transits Australia’s Descendant and this Solar Eclipse point.
Tony’s Neptune is opposing Australia’s Part of Celebrity of Rank at 1Taurus47 and his Pluto is in trine. Perhaps describing his position as Leader of the Opposition.
Pluto is trine Australia’s Part of Sudden Advancement at 1Capricorn31. As transiting Pluto moved over this point Tony Abbott became the Leader of the Opposition.
Australia is on the left and Tony on the right.
Some reasonable connections on the declination level:
* Tony’s Saturn parallel Australia’s Venus-Node. This could work either way – his Saturn could stabilize the economy, or bring severe restrictions. As both are in Australia’s 9th house, he could bring in restrictive laws – particularly in the ‘Work Choices’ area as Venus is the ruler of Australia’s 6th house.
* Mercury is parallel Australia’s Chiron. Quite a good combination as it increases his ability to communicate with Australians. However, his communication could be ‘wounding’ at times.
* Mars-Chiron-Neptune are parallel Australia’s Descendant. Mars-Neptune can give charisma, as can Chiron-Neptune, so this could make him quite appealing to Australians. It could also describe his ‘action man’ image and with Neptune involved, the ‘budgie smuggler’ photographs of him swimming and coming out of the sea.
* Mars-Chiron-Neptune are also contraparallel Australia’s Mars. This is an important aspect as Mars is ruler of Australia’s Ascendant. It would give the desire to take action rather than sit around discussing a situation and this could work both positively and negatively at times.
* Uranus parallel Australia’s Moon. A rather nervy, unsettling energy, perhaps describing why women don’t really trust him. As Uranus can be quite retroactive at times, it could describe his far right wing approach to the roles of women in Australia.
* Pluto parallel and on the parallel midpoint of Australia’s South Node and Neptune. I am not sure how this would work, but it could certainly describe upheavals and at times group disasters. It is a particularly potent configuration as it further emphasizes his Pluto square Australia’s Nodes. I really don’t like it very much at all.
Tony’s Sun-Node = Australia’s Sun-Mars at 10Scorpio52. Ebertin says “The desire to become a person of importance; desire for recognition; desire to establish oneself in a community“ This has certainly happened. Leader of the Opposition is definitely a ‘person of importance’.
Tony’s Mars = Australia’s Mars/Uranus-Vertex at 28Libra. A very energetic and explosive configuration. I am sure it will bring a number of upsets when this point is transited.
Tony’s Saturn = Australia’s Venus/Uranus-Vertex at 12Sagittarius40. A strange one to have for an aspiring leader. It can give estrangement and separation. As Venus rules the 6th house and Uranus the 10th I think it describes Tony’s desire to control the workers of this country.
Tony’s Pluto = Australia’s Moon/Uranus-Vertex at 2Pisces30. This can be extremely self willed and fanatical. It possibly describes his constant ‘foot in the mouth’ when he talks about women. Other than that, it describes his desire to make radical changes and the likelihood of this deeply upsetting the populace.
Copyright (c) Alice Portman July 2010
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-36078380-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);