1. House systems are derived from different methods of dividing time and space. All these methods are quite valid so all house systems are valid. I tend to work with what I call the ‘big Seven’’ Alcabitius, Campanus, Koch, Placidus, Porphyry, Regiomontanus and Topcentric. However there are a number of different types of house systems that you can get into if you want to.
2. The Ascendant, Descendant, MC, IC, Vertex and antiVertex remain the same whatever house system you use.
3. Individuals tend to have a personal resonance to one or two specific house systems. I haven’t as yet found out why but think it might be genetically based, it could also be location based or a mixture of the two.
4. The best way I have found to ascertain your own particular house system is to watch Uranus transits over the same cusp in different house systems. You will find something happens on each but the one that produces the strongest effect is the correct system for you.
5. As Uranus transits are long term you need to also watch for faster moving planets and/or lunations on that same degree as these will act as a trigger.
6. Once you have done that you can then check out progressions and directions to the cusps of the most likely house systems. For fine tuning make sure you also use faster moving progressions like Tertiary and Minor.
7. Daily Age Harmonics will help you decide between the same cusps in different systems that are close to the same minute. This is an advanced technique but quite simple to use if you have Solar Fire v6 or v7. Click this link to learn more about Age Harmonics
Don’t let all this confuse you, it is not all that hard to do and is very interesting. It is also a good way to quickly learn how astrology works for you in your world.
Copyright (c) Alice Portman 2009
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-36078380-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);